Molen

Molen De Eendragt

De Eendragt Windmill bordering the Knowledge Square is a sight to behold, with its impressive metal sails and beautiful authentic brick structure. For over two centuries, the mill has been a silent witness from bygone days when oil was extracted from seeds. Right here, next to the Dokkumer Ee canal. With the festive reopening in 2018, the seed was planted for a gathering of students, lecturers, researchers and visitors from all over the world. De Eendragt does honour to its name again.

De Eendragt Windmill was built in 1786 to serve as a peeling mill for barley and oats. Soon thereafter, it was used as an oil mill, where the miller would harvest oil from rapeseeds, groundnuts, and linseed. When in 1889 a mill in Anjum burned down, De Eendragt had been out of commission for some time. Long before the term circular economy was commonplace, the philosophy was practiced right here in Leeuwarden. The top half of the mill, including the sails, was moved to Anjum.

In 2005, NHL Stenden gained ownership of the semi-mill and plans for a facelift were made for the monumental building, which had endured many trials throughout the ages. These plans seemed to literally go up in flames as part of the building burned down in a large fire in 2014. However, after restorations, led by the inspired architect Erik van Wel, the mill has been restored to its former glory after 234 years.  

The mill houses several organisations, such as EXPECT and VONKT. The ground floor has Christian, Buddhist-Hindu and Islamic prayer rooms. The upper floor contains a library. The ground floor houses a large lecture hall and the first floor of the mill accommodates a meeting area for groups up to around 24 persons.