Financing your studies

Financing your studies

Student finance by the Dutch government (EU students)

You may be eligible for student finance (provided by the Dutch government to students in higher education) if you fulfill the following requirements:

  • You must be under the age of 30.
  • You must be registered as a full-time or dual student in the Netherlands.
  • You must hold a Dutch passport or have similar rights depending on nationality or residence permit.
  • You must have lived in the Netherlands for at least 5 consecutive years or be employed for at least 56 hours a month.

How does it work?

Student finance includes three components: a loan, a student travel card and a supplementary grant (depending on your parents’ income). You are required to repay the loan portion of the student finance, while the other two components will be converted into a gift provided you finish your course within 10 years. If you fail to graduate within this period, you will be required to repay the costs of the travel card and supplementary grant.

To check how much money you would be eligible to receive, we recommend that you use the DUO calculator.

How to apply

Be sure to apply in time, as it may take several months for your application to be processed. You will need a Dutch BSN number (Citizen Service Number) and a DigiD account, which provides access to online services provided by Dutch government agencies.

Click here to apply.

Working in the Netherlands

You may well decide you would like to take a part-time job during your time at NHL Stenden. While there are certainly opportunities available for students to work part-time, you may have some difficulty finding a job right away, and many jobs (in retail, food service, sales and other areas) do require at least basic Dutch-language skills. While we recommend that you attempt to find a part-time job if you intend to work here, you should not rely on this additional income as it is not guaranteed.

Some general rule you should be aware of: -> Foreign students are allowed to work part-time in the Netherlands during their  studies -> EU students (excluding Croatia) and students from Japan and Switzerland do not require a work permit (depending on the number of hours you work, you may be required to purchase Dutch health insurance) -> If you are a non-EU student, you DO require a work permit, which you must obtain through your employer (this can take up to 6 weeks) -> Non-EU Students can choose to either:

  1.  work part-time for a maximum of 10 hours a week throughout the year
  2.  work full-time for three months during the summer (June, July and August)

For more information, please download the factsheet.

Randstad Employment Agency

The largest temporary staffing services provider in the Netherlands, Randstad, maintains a branch on the Stenden Campus. They post available student jobs, and you can schedule an appointment or drop in to find out about opportunities for international students and possible job openings.

Job sites

You may find the following job sites to be useful: