As an international student, you must check beforehand whether you require a student visa for the Netherlands. Our Central Student Administration will help you with your visa application through an accelerated process. We will tell you exactly which documents you require and how to obtain these documents.

Who needs a student visa?

There are two types of immigration procedures:

  • Residence permit (VVR) procedure
  • Long stay entry visa (MVV) and residence permit (VVR) procedure

In the overview below you can find the different procedures per nationality. The Central Student Administration will apply for your visa and residence permit at the Dutch immigration office (IND: on your behalf.
You can find more information about the visa procedure via this link.


Nationality Required procedure
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • South Korea
  • United Kingdom
  • United States of America
  • Vatican City State
Residence permit (VVR) procedure
  • All other non-EU countries
Long stay entry visa (MVV) and residence permit (VVR) procedure
  • All EU countries*
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Norway
  • Switzerland
No procedure required

* EU countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Northern Ireland and Sweden.

Visa fees

The fees for a visa to study in the Netherlands are non-refundable and currently total 192 euros. Fees are reviewed twice a year and are subject to change. Please note that you may incur additional expenses to have documents authenticated/notarised in your home country.

Required visa documents

Once you have completed your application, the Central Student Administration will apply for your visa on your behalf. Deadlines to upload the needed documents are:

  • 1 July for September intake
  • 1 December for February intake

To enable us to apply for your visa we will need the following documents: