Goal of the programme
The Pre-Master Programme is specially designed for international students and combines intensive academic English language training, study skills lessons and academic lectures to ensure swift adaptation to NHL Stenden’s master programmes. You will gain greater confidence in expressing yourself and feel more comfortable when engaging with fellow students, lecturers and professors in the master programmes. You will also be able to perform better academically and tackle complex research projects in an effective and professional way. This is an excellent platform for a successful career in industries like hospitality, tourism or services, providing added value to your personal and professional development.
After successfully completing NHL Stenden’s Pre-Master Programme including an IELTS exam, you are guaranteed entry into both the Master in International Service Management and the Master in Leisure and Tourism Studies.
The programme is taught at NHL Stenden’s Leeuwarden campus with full access to the library (including digital) and all other facilities at NHL Stenden.
The Pre-Master Programme is also accessible for students who already meet the entry requirements for the master programmes but simply want to refresh or upgrade their knowledge and academic skills.
Academic English is a key subject in the Pre-Master Programme, which is fairly different from regular English language training. You will spend approximately 3 hours per day on a combination of:
- Writing (essays, research reports and dissertations)
- Listening (following lectures with ease, taking notes at lectures)
- Reading (reading for specific academic purposes, working on specific strategies associated with effective reading)
- Speaking (presenting findings, chairing and taking part in group discussions)
- Grammar (improving basic grammar skills to an academic level)
To ensure your swift integration into the master programmes, you will spend another 4 hours per week on specific academic subjects related to the fields of service, leisure and tourism including:
- Quality management
- Policy & planning
- Forming Concepts
- Sustainability strategies
- Strategic management
- Market value creation.
To follow the Pre-Master Programme students will need:
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably in hospitality, tourism, business or economics, with other subjects being considered as well.
- An IELTS score of at least 5.5 or TOEFL scores of 525 (paper-based), 196 (computer-based) or 70 (internet-based) or a Cambridge ESOL score FCE-C.
- An intake interview.
You will automatically receive information about this course as soon as you apply for the study programme of your choice and it appears you do not meet the English requirements.
|Tuition fee||€ 5,000|
|Books and materials||€ 225|
|IELTS test||€ 260|
|Administration fee||€ 800|
|Tuition fee||€ 8,450|
|IELTS test||€ 520|
|Administration fee||€ 1,050|
* Via a combination of NHL Stenden's Short English Course and the Pre-Master Programme.
No refund policy
NHL Stenden University of Applied Sciences applies a strict no-refund policy to all services and expenses.