Global Social Development
Sign up for this minorAs an NHL Stenden student
Global Social Development is about:
- Understanding and solving the disparities in the world
- Theories of development and its implications in the world we live in
- Designing projects and programs to solve disparities and measure impacts
- Understanding how government and non-government institutions work to reduce inequalities
- Participating as a global citizen in the world and contributing to a bigger purpose
- Understanding unique challenges faced by countries and communities
- Understanding the disparities of various South East Asian countries with an outlook into the world
- Project design, monitoring and impact analysis for development projects for solving inequalities
- Cultural and contextual understanding of poverty, immigration, gender development and other challenges
- Sustainable development goals as a global goal and its critiques and opportunities
- Using marketing, social media and fundraising as tools to aide solving global problems
- Analyzing global indices and targets to design and deliver smaller project at target specific problems
- Professional immersion into solution design for achieving sustainable development goals.
This minor is offered by the study program Hotel Management.
Structure of the minor
A series of lectures, guest lectures and other media and literature resources will help you better understand the unique challenges of the community you are designing a project for.
In the span of 10 weeks, students will undergo two iterations of the design cycle, each time refining their project. Students will also be challenged to develop indices and targets that are measurable as per the current sustainable development goal standards and build the rational as to how their project aims to solve the particular challenge of collection of challenges. Apart from this design based exercise, students will also develop a portfolio in developments communication through media, social media and other communication platforms based on their learning goals and major skills.
- Student Led Seminar - the SLS will specifically focus on the Sustainable Development Goals
- Development Communication Portfolio - showcase the development in marketing communications
- Volunteership Presentation - Present the work that students have achieved during their volunteership programs
This minor is open to all students of NHL Stenden, but will be particularly applicable for students with an interest in social development and international relatrions. Prior knowledge of International Relations supports the understanding of theories of development, therefore, it is recommended that students consider studying International Relations for the module period before this.