Sign up for this minorAs an NHL Stenden student
Want to develop yourself as a culturally competent professional who understands how their work impacts the global community? To be able to take a seat at the table where decisions are being made? With a special focus in Thai language and culture and public communication? Then the minor International Relations is what you need!
To foster students’ global awareness, this minor introduces International Relations concepts and a global perspective on a theoretical level, public communication skills, cross-cultural competence and beginner level Thai language. It also includes engaging cultural workshops and guest lecturers, exposing students to an international experience. Using real world case studies, the minor looks at issues from around the world and helps students dissect, analyze and express their views on political, economic, social and cultural aspects of these issues. This is further enhanced by an immersion into Thai culture and language, allowing students to gain a greater knowledge of Asian perspectives.
This minor is offered by the study program Hotel Management.
Structure of the minor
- Unit 1: International Relations Concepts (6 EC)
The student is able to understand how the world as we know it has developed through the use of International Relations Concepts and their implications as well as their current application seen in Diplomacy, International Law and Economics, Politics etc.
- Unit 2: Public Communication Skills (3 EC)
The student is able to develop their public communication skills through blog-writing workshops, Model United Nations sessions, presentations, written reports using APA citations and self-reflective papers.
- Unit 3: Thai Language and Cross-cultural Understanding (3 EC) The student is able to obtain a beginner’s level in Thai language in listening and speaking and recognise Thai alphabet symbols, as well as identify cultural differences and understanding.
- Literature Review Report and Comparative Analysis Presentation to explain and demonstrate the sensible interpretation of the findings and to present these in logical order.
- Research, Presentation, Protocol and Participation in Model United Nations along with Blog Writing to enhance and express ideas and viewpoints
- Thai Language Roleplay and Cultural projects
This Grand Tour minor is open to all students of NHL Stenden. Students who are interested in what’s happening in the world and want to learn about the impact of relationships between countries, regions and cultural groups will find this minor most rewarding.