You may decide you want to work part-time while studying at NHL Stenden. Although there are certainly opportunities available for students to work part-time, you may have some difficulty finding a job right away, and many jobs (in retail, food service, sales and other areas) do require at least basic Dutch-language skills.
Part-time jobs: some general rules
While we recommend that you try to find a part-time job if you intend to work here, you shouldn't rely on it for additional income as it is not guaranteed. Please also bear in mind that if you start a part-time job, you will immediately have to take out Dutch public healthcare insurance, since now you are no longer just a student, but also an employee.
Some general rules you should be aware of:
- Foreign students are allowed to work part-time in the Netherlands during their studies
- EU students (excluding Croatia) and students from Japan and Switzerland do not require a work permit (depending on the number of hours you work, you may be required to purchase Dutch health insurance)
- If you are a non-EU student, you DO require a work permit, which you must obtain through your employer (this can take up to 6 weeks)
- Non-EU students with a work permit obtained through their employer can choose to either:
- work part-time for a maximum of 16 hours a week throughout the year
- work full-time for three months during the summer (June, July and August)
For more information, please download the factsheet.
Randstad Employment Agency
The largest temporary staffing services provider in the Netherlands, Randstad, has a branch on the NHL Stenden campus. They post student job vacancies, and you can schedule an appointment or drop in to find out about opportunities for international students and possible job openings.
We’ve got some great jobs at Randstad for international students. From catering to cleaning and much, much more. If you want to make new contacts and take on new challenges, then find out more, register and maybe you’ll be starting a new job very soon!
Randstad (Campus Office)
Ubbo Emmiuslaan 245
8917 JC Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Find your perfect part-time job. Nynke from Randstad tells you about the possibilities you have and what you can already do to...