As an international student, you must check beforehand whether you require a student visa for the Netherlands. Our Central Student Administration will help you with your visa application through an accelerated process. We will tell you exactly which documents you require and how to obtain these documents.


Who needs a student visa?

There are two types of immigration procedures:

  • Residence permit (VVR) procedure
  • Long stay entry visa (MVV) and residence permit (VVR) procedure

In the overview below you can find the different procedures per nationality. The Central Student Administration will apply for your visa and residence permit at the Dutch immigration office (IND: on your behalf. You can find more information about the visa procedure via this link.

Which residence permit application applies to you?

Choose your nationality:

* EU countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Northern Ireland and Sweden.

Conditions to keep your Dutch residence permit for study purposes

New or current international non-EU/EEA students, residing in the Netherlands with a residence permit for study purposes, have to meet two requirements every year to keep their Dutch residence permit. Read more about the conditions to keep your Dutch residence permit.