As an international student, you must check beforehand whether you require a student visa for the Netherlands. Our Central Student Administration will help you with your visa application through an accelerated process. We will tell you exactly which documents you require and how to obtain these documents.


Who needs a student visa?

There are two types of immigration procedures:

  • Residence permit (VVR) procedure
  • Long stay entry visa (MVV) and residence permit (VVR) procedure

In the overview below you can find the different procedures per nationality. The Central Student Administration will apply for your visa and residence permit at the Dutch immigration office (IND: on your behalf. You can find more information about the visa procedure via this link.

Which residence permit application applies to you?

Choose your nationality:

* EU countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Northern Ireland and Sweden.

Conditions to keep your Dutch residence permit for study purposes

New or current international non-EU/EEA students, residing in the Netherlands with a residence permit for study purposes, have to meet two requirements every year to keep their Dutch residence permit. Read more about the conditions to keep your Dutch residence permit. 

Proof of financial means 

As a student from outside the European Union, you are obliged to provide NHL Stenden with proof that you will be able to finance your stay in the Netherlands. You may do so in one of the following two ways: 

A money transfer of € 15.000 to NHL Stenden's bank account, which will be refunded upon your arrival after you have opened a Dutch bank account. 
Proof of a scholarship amounting to at least € 15.000. 

Note that this amount covers living expenses only and does not include the annual tuition fees and visa application fee. The above-mentioned rates are for informational purposes and subject to change twice a year.