Practical matters International Teacher Education for Primary Schools (ITEPS)
Check out the practical matters you need to consider when enrolling for ITEPS, from admission requirements to tuition fees. We’ve put together an overview of the information for you so you know what’s in store.
To be admitted to one of our 4-year bachelor programmes, you will need to meet the admission requirements as outlined in Dutch Higher Education law. For a 4 -year bachelor programme at NHL Stenden, you need a diploma that is at least equivalent to an NLQF 4/EQF 4 level (Dutch/European Qualifications Framework)* and comparable to the required Dutch diploma.
The Central Student Administration at NHL Stenden University of Applied Sciences carries out an assessment on every individual application to our 4-year bachelor programmes. It generally recognises the international qualifications listed here**
If the qualification you will obtain or have obtained is not listed as a recognised qualification, you may still be eligible to study at NHL Stenden and should also apply for the programme through Studielink. Your qualifications will be assessed by an Admissions Officer at the Central Student Administration (CSA) department at NHL Stenden once you have submitted your application.
If it is unclear what the equivalent level of your secondary school diploma is within the Dutch education system, NHL Stenden University of Applied Sciences will have your diploma evaluated by Nuffic, a Dutch organisation specialised in the assessment of international qualifications. For an indication of how your educational system compares to the Dutch system, please visit the Nuffic website.
* The European Qualifications Framework (EQF) is a tool for understanding and comparing qualifications awarded in different countries and by different education and training systems. Its eight levels are described in terms of learning outcomes: knowledge, skills and competences. The levels of the Dutch Qualification Framework (NLQF) are linked to the levels of the EQF.
** All applications are assessed on an individual basis by the Central Student Administration (CSA) even if your diploma is listed as a recognised qualification. Although this document has been composed carefully by NHL Stenden, rights cannot be derived from this overview.
All non-EU/EEA applicants are required to submit an English proficiency test with their application to show that their English language skills are at a high enough level to succeed in their studies.
Exceptions can be made for students who have had their preparatory education in a country where English is the only official educational language.
If you are applying for an associate degree, bachelor’s degree or master's degree and hold a diploma from a European institution listed here, and English was included as part of the final exam curriculum, then the additional English language test is not required. The same applies to students who have attained General Certificates of Secondary Education (enough O and A/AS levels with the sufficient score), the European Baccalaureate Certificate, International Baccalaureate Diploma, or an IB career-related programme taught fully in English.
All other applicants need to submit a valid and adequate English language test result with their application.
NHL Stenden University of Applied Sciences accepts four kinds of official language tests in accordance with the Code of Conduct International Student in Dutch Higher Education:
- Academic IELTS with a minimum overall score of 6.0** (with an advised minimum of 5.0 for each skill). We do not accept the online version of the Academic IELTS results.
- TOEFL *** iBT with a minimum score of 80 We accept the following TOEFL iBT tests:
- TOEFL iBT Traditional**
- TOEFL iBT Paper Edition**
- Cambridge ESOL score FCE-C (169, or higher).
- TOEIC score 670* (Listening and Reading) and 290 (Speaking and Writing).
*We only accept TOEIC® certificates from public programs and not from institutional programs. Public programs are organized in public centers and delivers an official score report which is recognized worldwide.
** IELTS, TOEFL and TOEIC certificates more than 2 years old (at the start date of the study), will not be accepted.
***TOEFL iBT Traditional and Paper Edition - Before registering for this test, you can include our TOEFL institution code of C652 for the verification process. Original test results must be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service to NHL Stenden. For further information check here.
Please note: If you do not yet have the necessary level in English, you may enrol in our Preparatory English Language Course.
When you join the International Teacher Education program, you probably want to live in Meppel. We want to help you finding a place you can call home. Therefore, we have a College Campus and many more places in Meppel to live. View the options for your new home in Meppel at: www.itepscourse-meppel.com/housing.
All prospective ITEPS students need to go through the admissions procedure, which means you:
- Send us your CV and a motivation letter (up to 1 A4 page of text) describing your background, explaining why you want to become a teacher at an international primary school, and outlining your expectations of the programme
- Fill in a questionnaire and complete the online diagnostic mathematics test
- Take part in an assessment, including an intake interview. Students living abroad and/or more than 300 km away from the NHL Stenden campus may opt to do the assessment online
- Apply for a Certificate of Good Conduct (VOG)
You will receive more information about the admissions procedure once you have registered through Studielink.
As a student, tuition fees are just part of your expenses. You’ll also have to deal with the costs of, for instance, your accommodation, utilities, insurance, day-to-day transport and groceries. Find out what you can expect in terms of expenses here.
Is this the degree for you?
If you're confident this degree is the one for you, then why not apply online straightaway? Or pick one of the other options to help you take the next step.